Frequently Asked Questions
• New floor coverings, especially vinyl, require an absolutely smooth and durable foundation underneath to prevent the subfloor or old floor surfaces from showing irregularities.
• Vinyl flooring manufacturers require a sound foundation under their product to protect their warrantees, and Multiply® meets this requirement.
It is a white hardwood plywood panel specially developed as a flooring underlayment. When applied according to instructions, Multiply® will protect your floor covering investment for years to come. Check out these features:
Thick Veneer Face:
Resists punctures from appliances and high heels etc.
Multiply® is made from a hardwood species that is naturally white plus, because synthetic fillers are not used, it’s guaranteed never to discolor or stain new floor coverings.
This locates the correct position for each fastening pattern to assure a tight, even and properly secured floor.
Multiply® is made with an exterior phenolic adhesive which helps repel moisture. Multiply® is guaranteed not to delaminate or buckle.
Panels are sanded to fine tolerances to minimize minor irregularities in subfloors and old floors.
You can use Multiply® with confidence in any room in the house under: vinyl – ceramic tile – wood – carpet – or laminates.
• Use 1/4″ thickness for most applications.
• Use 3/8″ thickness where a thicker built up floor is required
Yes. The panels can be installed over the old existing vinyl flooring, provided it is free of any defects and structurally sound. If the old existing vinyl flooring does not meet these criteria, it must be stripped off by a professional. Holes or slits should be made in the existing vinyl so that moisture or vapor can’t be trapped.
Multiply® panels are quick and easy to install, thanks to the convenient nailing grid and instructions on every panel. Plus you’ll find detailed installation instructions and warranty information on a separate tear sheet in the store.
- Always store Multiply® panels in a dry covered area, over a minimum of two supports, to keep them flat.
- Acclimate the panels to the room’s conditions for a minimum 24 hours and 48 to 72 hours in more extreme temperature/humidity conditions before installation.
- Thoroughly vacuum away all surface dust and debris before installation.
Staples are recommended most because their depth can be controlled to provide the tightest fastening system. However nails and screws can also be used.
For best results, the fastener chosen to install the panels must:
- Penetrate 75% to 90% of the entire floor system but not protrude through the bottom of the subfloor.
- Be slightly countersunk into the surface of the Multiply® panel.
- Set 3/8″– 3/4″ (9.5mm – 19.0mm) from panel edge.
- Staples: The recommended system
Use a chisel point, narrow crown (1/4″- 6.35mm), clear-coated staple.
Set them slightly countersunk.
Select annular-grooved underlay flooring nails at least 1″ (25.4mm) long with a 3/16″ (5.0mm) head.
Use a screw gun with depth finder and choose a flat-head #8 low-root thread with reaming nibs/lugs not less than 1″ (25.4mm) long.
Do not use drywall screws.
Not if the application is over a heated basement. However, vapor barriers are necessary when panels are installed above a crawl space. Note that crawl space must be at least 18 inches (457mm).
Yes, as long as wood subfloors are insulated, have an adequate vapor barrier, and are not in contact with concrete or the ground.
Use a medium (80 grit) sandpaper to start and finish with a fine (100 to 120-grit) sandpaper. Sand all seams at a 45% angle and 12″ in from all edges – until all green X’s within 12″ of the seams have disappeared. Do not over sand!